My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

When versus If

Quinn is 36 days old today. Max lived to be 37 days old. Writing that is like kicking myself in the head (I saw a guy do this on Big Brother, so I know it's possible). It seems impossible that 37 days can make up a lifetime, but it did for Max. Because of Max and his impact on my life, I am enjoying the gift of every day with Quinn. And because of Max, I realize that every day really is a gift. To be honest, my anxiety has not been as bad as I thought it would be. I definitely do things that most moms probably don't--check to make sure she's breathing 8,000 times a day, put on her Snuza monitor every night before bed (this monitors her movements from breathing and sounds an alarm if necessary)--but I also do what most new moms do--enjoy her. As the minutes tick by and we get closer to the 37 day mark, I do feel my anxiety increasing, however. I don't know what it will feel like to wake up tomorrow and be Quinn's mom on her 37th day of life, and I am even more clueless as to how it will feel to have Quinn live to 38 days, and in doing so, outlive her big brother. I sure hope that I get to find out, though.

At times, I feel like I am tempting fate. No matter how hard I try, I can't shake that feeling. When I found out that I was expecting a girl, it was obligatory for people to joke about how moody she would be as a teenager, how much money we would spend on clothes, and the creative ways we would protect her from predatory, hormone-addled boys. I went along with these jokes, and I made them often myself. In the back of my mind, though, I was always qualifying these statements with, "If she lives that long..." I would immediately feel guilty for questioning my unborn daughter's ability to survive, but I also knew that there was a lot of truth behind it. Now that Quinn is here, I still find myself prefacing thoughts of the future with "If she lives that long..." and imagining her future with some hesitation. When I buy or receive clothes that she isn't yet big enough to wear, I wonder if she'll live long enough to fit into them. And I remember how horrible it was to pack up boxes of clothes that Max never grew to fit into. Every time I see the box of size 1 diapers sitting in Quinn's closet, I wonder if she'll live long enough for me to open the box and put one on her. And I can't help but remember giving boxes of diapers away after Max died. When I think of the milestones that I assume Quinn will reach--rolling over, crawling, walking, speaking--I can't help but think that I assumed that Max would reach them too, and look where it got me. I worry that I took things for granted with Max, and I worry that I will do that with Quinn too. I scold myself when I think or say things like, "When Quinn is a teenager..." or "When Quinn starts walking..." or even "Tomorrow..." because I know that those things aren't guaranteed. How stupid can I be? I think to myself sometimes. The alternative, though, is to say things like "IF Quinn lives to be a teenager..." or "IF tomorrow comes..." and how depressing would that be to hear?!?! I know that this way of thinking isn't likely to change, so I'll get used to it. Maybe the way I feel about it will change. Maybe I won't even notice it at some point. Max's death left me with a lot of questions and a feeling of uncertainty about the future, but it also left me with the unshakable belief that every day that we live to see is really a gift. I try to keep that in mind so that if tomorrow doesn't come--for me or for someone I love--I'm happy with today.

On a very important side note, I learned tonight that a friend's newborn son is in the NICU. This friend is not someone I speak with every day, but he was, at one point, a very important person in my life. He taught me many things and undoubtedly contributed to the person I am today, so I will always consider him a friend. He is funny, generous, fiercely loyal, and has a very strong faith. I ask that you take a break from reading now and say a prayer for him, his son, and their family. And when you're done with that, take a break from stressing about the future and think of all of the blessings that you have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment