My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

August 1, 2011--Babies Everywhere


I held a baby yesterday.  It was a little baby boy named Elijah.  He goes by Eli.  Holding a baby doesn’t sound like a big deal for most people, and it isn’t.  For me, though, it is a huge deal.  A big accomplishment.  Probably a milestone, really.  Eli is 6 weeks old, about as old as Max was when he died.  So, holding Eli really is incredible for me.  Holding a baby is something that people do without really thinking about it.  It’s natural to want to hold a new baby and examine every nook and cranny of his tiny, intricate face.  People smile big and wide when they see a new baby.  Even strangers do this.  A mother can’t take a new baby anywhere without filling full of pride from strangers’ smiles, compliments, and questions.  Suddenly the middle-aged store clerk’s scowl is rearranged to a smile that lights up her eyes when she sees that little baby in his car seat.  The rude shopper who might have cut you off with her aggressive shopping cart maneuvers stops and smiles, motioning for you and your baby to go ahead of her.  She stares over your shoulder at your baby and perhaps remembers the joy and pride that she felt as a young mother.  Maybe I’m giving people too much credit, but people really do melt when they see babies.  It’s been hard for me to be that person lately, though.  It’s hard to smile when I see a beaming mother pushing her baby around in the shopping cart, talking to him even though he doesn’t understand a word of her speech.  It’s hard to look at another woman’s baby and remember that I used to have one of those too:  a little part of me looking back into my eyes and responding to my softly spoken words.  It’s really hard to remember that I used to be that mom that strangers stopped to say, “Look at all of that beautiful hair!”  “How old is he?” “How precious!” “Is he your first?”  I guess what’s really hard is to not be that person any more and to be the person who stares blankly at another woman’s baby instead.  Sometimes I feel like moms can look at me and tell that I’ve lost a baby.  Maybe they guard their babies more around me because they think I might want their baby.  Really, I don’t want anyone else’s baby.  I want mine.
            A few days ago, I went to Jose Pepper’s to meet with Donna, the facilitator of the SIDS support group that Scott and I attend, and Lori.  We were having a nice time talking about the fundraiser that we’re planning, and two of my friends from work stopped by to have a drink with us.  (Niki and Donna—you guys were WELCOME, so I don’t want to hear anything else about it!)  I actually felt pretty relaxed and calm.  I would say that I felt happy, but that would be overstating it.  Lori likes to say that she has bad days and worse days; I was having a bad day.  At some point, a young couple with a baby sat beside us.  I didn’t notice when they sat down, but I noticed them the second the dad pulled the tiny baby out of her car seat.  She had a full head of black hair.  She was probably 3-4 weeks old.  Obviously, she was very different from Max in that she was a female.  Let’s be honest, though, a lot of people have a hard time telling whether a newborn is a boy or a girl unless it’s wearing blue or pink.  Ethan was constantly mistaken for a baby girl.  This baby resembled Max because of her size and her hair.  She had so much hair.  It startled me seeing it, but what really got me was when she started to cry.  It dawned on me that I hadn’t heard a baby cry since Max died.  It was a horrible realization.  Suddenly, I couldn’t concentrate on anything that my tablemates were saying.  I knew that I should leave, but I wanted to ride it out.  I wanted to be normal.  Of course, I’m not normal, and I couldn’t ride it out.  I didn’t even politely excuse myself.  I just said, “I’m going to need to leave.  Sorry.”  And then I got up.  Lori and Donna probably saw me staring at the baby from the moment her father got her out of her car seat.  See, I’m that creepy lady who just stares expressionless at someone else’s baby.  Lori knew that I was upset.  She texted me on my way home, and her words made me feel a little better.  It was just nice to know that someone else recognized how upsetting a tiny baby’s cries could be for me.  It made me feel like less of a weirdo, I guess.
            I had made plans earlier in the week to get together with a group of women, some old friends and some strangers, for dinner on Sunday night.  Children were invited, including a 6-week-old boy, Eli.  My friend Ellen made sure that I knew he would be there so I could prepare myself or just decline the invitation.  That was so considerate of her; she is one of the most thoughtful people I know.  I had been looking forward to seeing Eli, but I was also a little hesitant.  I just never know how I’ll react to things anymore, but I was looking forward to giving it a try.  After all, I can’t avoid babies for the rest of my life, especially since I want another one!  I also realize that other people are uncomfortable or unsure in these situations.  No one really knows whether to talk to me about their babies, bring them around us, etc.  I understand that, and I think it is very kind of them to consider our feelings.  I am uncomfortable and unsure about it too.  All I can do is keep experimenting until I figure it out.  I asked Ellen all sorts of questions about Eli—does he look like Max?  How many days beyond 37 has he lived?—and then I decided that I wanted to meet him.  I’ve heard so many wonderful things about Eli’s mom, and I wanted to be around her.  I had a feeling that she would understand me and be gentle with my feelings.  (She did and she was)  After the Jose Pepper’s incident, I started to question whether it was a good idea to be around Eli, though.  If a little girl whose only resemblance to Max was dark, long hair could send me into hysterics, what would a little boy who was the same age as Max do to me?  I don’t consider myself an “avoider” of potentially uncomfortable situations, so I went.  And I’m so glad that I did.
            My sister-in-law, Cheryl, was in town with her daughter, Maddie.  We all piled in the Prius and drove clown-car-style over to Ellen’s.  That car is NOT big enough for 3 adults and 2 children, but luckily it’s a short drive.  Cheryl broke the ice right away with her famous one-liners.  We all joke that she is going to write a book full of them; her husband, Scott’s brother, has already titled the book:  Tact:  Inappropriate Sayings for Every Occasion.  I’m so glad that she was with me.  Thanks for being you, Cheryl.  Oddly enough, there was a little girl there named Stella.  She was four months old.  I say “oddly enough” because my good friends, Jim and Liz, were at the hospital preparing to welcome their little baby, Stella, into the world that day.  She didn’t make her appearance until Monday morning (poor Liz!), but I loved meeting a baby with the same name as a girl who I plan to spoil like crazy.  I felt really at ease around all of the women there, even the ones I was meeting for the first time that night.  I assume that they all know my story, but they didn’t treat me like a freak or look at me with pity in their eyes.  They asked questions about me, joked with Cheryl, and didn’t tense up when I mentioned Max.  They complimented me on my new tattoo and laughed when I told them that I had to remove the bandage covering it because I worried that people would think that I was doing some self-harming.  I had a great time.  Eli slept most of the time, and his mom was silently considerate of my feelings.  I know that sounds weird—silently considerate—but what I mean is that she didn’t put me on the spot by asking me questions—are you okay? Is he okay being here? Can you be in the same room with him? etc.  Instead, she acted in ways that let me know that she was considering my loss.  I am so grateful for that. 
            Eventually, we all ended up in the living room.  Eli slept in a friend’s arms at the other end of the couch from me.  Ellen sat between us.  She leaned over and asked quietly if I would like to hold him.  I thought about it, and I decided that I wanted to give it a try.  Ellen worried later that she was pushing me to move faster than I was ready to by asking me, but that wasn’t the case.  I was relieved that Ellen asked because I wouldn’t have had the guts to ask to hold him.  I held Eli in my arms, and I looked at his innocent little face.  I probably had a little bit of longing and loss in my eyes, but what I mostly remember feeling was happiness, love, and pride for Eli’s mom.  He is a beautiful boy.  And for the record, he doesn’t look anything like Max.  I have no illusions that this made holding him easier.  My arms haven’t been filled with a baby since Max died, and it was such a good feeling to be able to hold one again.  I can remember exactly what it felt like to hold Max and stare at his beautiful face.  This is the most vivid memory I have of him.  I say this with absolute admiration and adoration, but Eli looked like a little George Costanza.  We all agreed.  He had recently lost the hair only on the top of his head, leaving him with just a little ring of hair.  It was so cute. 
            I’m glad that I held Eli and that it was such a success.  It gave me the courage and confidence that I needed to go to the hospital the next day to visit Stella.  I held her for the first time, and I also entered a maternity ward for the first time.  I had imagined all of these things being incredibly emotional for me.  I thought they would bring back memories of Max and my pregnancy, and I thought those memories would make me miss him more.  What I realized is that that’s impossible.  I can’t miss Max any more than I already do.  Nothing that I do can make my loss feel any more painful than it already is.  No baby that I hold is going to make me long for Max again any more than I already do.  Seeing babies with black hair and big feet might be harder for me on some days, but some days it will make me smile while remembering Max’s beautiful smile and contagious laugh.  While these milestones might seem small and insignificant to some, they are major for me.  I allowed myself to be vulnerable to breakdowns and uncomfortable emotions, and I surprised myself with smiles and happiness.    

No comments:

Post a Comment