My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

August 9, 2011--Back to Work...


I am returning to work tomorrow.  Students don’t come back until next Tuesday, but teachers report tomorrow.  The first few days are always spent in meetings and in-services, so there is usually nothing to be worried about.  This year, I’m pretty anxious about going back to school.  I think I have pretty good reasons.  I am still having an impossible time focusing and concentrating, I’m teaching a new grade level that I have absolutely no experience with, and I’m obviously still riding an emotional roller coaster.  I never know how I’ll react to anything, which is not a good trait for a teacher to have.  The only “known” about this school year is that it will be incredibly difficult for me.  I was part of a huge baby boom among my co-workers, so I know there will be pictures, milestones, funny stories, and visits galore.  I also know that I won’t be sharing any of Max’s with my co-workers.  I do, however, have a great support system at work.  I work with my best friend in the world and several other very close friends.  These people have been at my house every day over the summer, taken me to lunch and dinner, and brought me incredibly thoughtful trinkets and mementos.  I always knew that our staff was special, but the love and support that my family has received after Max’s death really gives me indisputable evidence of that.  Still, my co-workers are human.  I know that some of them will hear the news of Max’s death tomorrow morning for the first time, and I might get a few of their raw reactions.  I also know that many of them will have no idea how to treat me.  I get that.  I anticipate a lot of eyes staring my way during the all-faculty meeting in the afternoon.  Some of them will look away when I make eye contact, some will make funny faces to make me laugh, and some of them will give me that half smile that says, “I’m so sorry.”  All of these reactions are normal.  I just don’t know how I’ll react to them.  That’s what scares me and makes me anxious.
            I do have a few suggestions for my co-workers, though.  There really isn’t such a thing as etiquette in a situation like mine; there are no rules whatsoever.  There are, however, tactful and meaningful ways of approaching me.  There are also classless, insensitive ways of doing it.  I don’t expect many of the latter, if any.  Like I said, my co-workers are pretty darn awesome.  If you aren’t sure, though, here are some ideas:
            1.  Don’t ask me how my summer was, unless you are ready for the truth.  Teachers ask this questions 8,000 times on their first day back at work.  I feel really badly for the person who lets this one slip with me not because of how it will make me feel, but because of how it will make him/her feel.  I promise that I won’t hold it against you, but I also promise that you’ll probably never forgive yourself for asking it.  I know it’s only natural.
            2.  Don’t avoid me.  If you would normally talk to me, then talk to me.  My son died, yes, but my personality didn’t.  I can still joke around, keep up with most small talk, and answer basic inquiries. 
            3.  Please don’t avoid saying Max’s name.  Like I said before, I will never hear a more perfect name than Max McFall.  Most of the time, I’m okay talking about him too.  I realize that you think there might not be a way to work his name into a conversation, but it’s okay if you tell me that you are so sorry that Max is gone.  Or that Max was a beautiful baby, or that Max sounded like a really special part of my life.  I would never, ever cringe at hearing those things.  I’ll actually probably smile.  And if I cry, don’t worry about it.  I’m not ashamed of my love for him and how sad it makes me feel to not have him here any more, so you shouldn’t be either.
            4.  Allow me to talk about Max.  I know that you might involuntarily tense up when I mention his name, but take the cue from me.  If I bring him up, then it’s definitely okay.  The best thing that Nicole does is to keep asking me questions when I bring up a memory.  When I told her the nicknames that I had for him, she kept asking me what else I called him, what else I remembered, etc.  I love her for that. 
            5.  Share your memories of Max with me (if you were privileged enough to meet him anyway).  It’s funny how parents forget little things.  One of my best friends, Casey, spoke at Max’s funeral.  She recalled being at my house during Max’s first bath and how I had looked into his eyes and said, “He is beautiful.  He is seriously beautiful.”  I hadn’t remembered saying that, but it’s a memory that I’ll treasure forever thanks to her.  My friend Drew also told me that he thought that Max looked like a little British rock star.  The fifth Beatle maybe.  He also told me how lucky he felt to have met Max and seen how special he was.  I can’t tell you how much I love hearing things like that.
            6.  Avoid saying offensive things.  These include:  at least he wasn’t older, at least it wasn’t Ethan, he’s in a better place, etc.  Does a parent’s love start as nothing and get stronger only as a child gets older?  Do you love your 18-year-old more than your 13-year-old?  I think not.  And losing a child isn’t easier when the child is younger.  I’m obviously glad that Ethan is alive and well, but Max should be too.  And there is no “better place” for a baby to be than with his loving, nurturing, protective parents and big brother.  You might be surprised; you might not, but we’ve heard all of these things.

            I’ll finish by saying that I really do understand that people don’t exactly know what to do when they see me.  I wouldn’t either.  I gave one of my friends that same half-smile full of pity when she came back to work after suffering her own tragic loss.  I feel horrible for that now.  The least I could have done was to suck up my pride and tell her how genuinely sorry I was and how much my heart was breaking for her.  No one has the perfect words or the perfect actions because they don’t exist.  A simple “I’m sorry” goes a long way for me right now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment