My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

December 4, 2011--Lessons from Max


Max would have been 7 months old today.  It fills me with mixed emotions to think of the things that he would be doing today.  He would be helping us discover which baby foods he prefers, he would probably be crawling all over the place, and there is no doubt that he would be one big dude.  Max would probably look much older than just 7 months.  I saw a friend post her daughter’s 4-month stats on Facebook the other day—14 lbs, 22 inches.  Max was 12 lbs and almost 24 inches at his one-month check-up, so I think everyone will agree that he would be absolutely gigantic now.  His feet, as I’ve mentioned before, were huge.  Maybe he would be wearing toddler-sized socks and shoes by now.  I have the luxury of believing that Max never would have lost his beautiful hair, as most babies do.  I imagine him with a full head of strikingly dark locks.  I can do that.  I can imagine all of these things because obviously I’ll never know what he would really be like.  In my mind, Max will always be perfect.  He’s always smiling too.  Imagining these things gives me some sort of comfort, which probably sounds odd.  Of course, it also makes me so damned sad.  There’s no easier way to realize the absolute unfairness of losing Max than by imagining the things that he never will get to do or be.  At the same time, I feel like I owe it to Max to recognize these things and to let my imagination run wild.  Everyone who has or has ever had a 7-month-old knows that it’s not perfect, but in my imagination, Max gets to be perfect.  I’d like to think that I would appreciate Max even in difficult times, but I know that it’s hard to do when you are cleaning up every second of the day after a curious, suddenly mobile baby and trying to make that still-unable-to-communicate-effectively baby happy at all times.  Parenting is the most dangerous experiment in the world, and its lack of a manual makes it the most confusing and frustrating experiment too.  We just do what we can and keep trying until something works.  Through all of the experimenting, though, it’s impossible to not learn.  Sometimes we learn little things—Peas do not agree with Max’s system.  Sometimes we learn big things—patience and persistence.  I’ve been thinking about the big things a lot lately. 

I’ve heard from a lot of people who tell me that Max’s short life taught them a lot about life, parenting, and relationships.  I think the shock of losing such a young person in such a sudden, unexpected and unexplained way makes people think a little bit harder and reflect a little longer.  I sometimes think that the shock of Max’s death hasn’t worn off for a lot of us, and honestly, it never will.  How could it?  It’s so unnatural.  So, we’re constantly thinking about our own lives and questioning the things that we’ve always believed (or at least desperately wanted to believe)—everything happens for a reason, good things happen to good people, you get what you give, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, God has a plan, God only gives you what you can handle, etc.  Well, if that’s the case, I would like to have a little discussion with this “God” that you speak of.  I don’t think I need to explain why I think a lot of those clichés are complete BS, but I’m guilty of believing them from time to time before Max’s death.  My honest opinion is that these are things that make other people feel better when horrible things happen to people they know.  It’s our way of satisfying this need to explain or justify things.  Trust me, it is of absolutely no comfort to hear these things from people.  Still, I’ve heard them more times than I care to count.  And, unfortunately, I’ve said them more times than I care to count.  After Max, though, I don’t believe I’ll be pulling these “gems” out any more.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t scream at people who say these things or hold grudges against them.  Not at all.  I’m actually glad that they can find comfort in believing these things, but I also worry for them because I think we all one day will experience something that makes us realize that these clichés really are just blindfolds that we put on to make it easier to deal with horrible things happening.  The truth is, in my opinion, horrible things just happen sometimes.  You will never, ever discover a reason for them happening; you will never feel stronger for it having happened to you; you will wish that it HAD killed you sometimes; you will hate God for falsely believing that you could handle something like this; and you will discover that the whole idea of karma is BS when it comes to the big things in life.  I really hope that none of this comes across as arrogant or hateful or insulting; I truly don’t intend it to be any of those things.  I’m just keeping my promise to be honest all the time, which means that sometimes I’m going to offend people.  I’m okay with that because people offend me too sometimes.  Shocker!

My real intention was to write today about some of the lessons that Max’s life and death have taught me.  So I guess I’ll get to the point now. 

I continue to think of new lessons from Max daily.  Sometimes they are little ones—what a relief, truly, that I have some of his hair to touch and feel!  Sometimes they are big ones.  Those are the ones I’ve been thinking about a lot lately, like I said earlier before I got totally off track (not shocking).  These “big” lessons have changed me.  I’m still coming to terms with some of the newly developed facets of my personality, and I suspect that this will continue to happen for the rest of my life.  For one, I am more appreciative of my friends and family.  The most important part of this is that I am vocal about that appreciation.  Before, I might have assumed that my friends and family just knew how much I loved and appreciated them.  Now, I know that nothing in life is guaranteed and that it takes very little effort to make your appreciation known.  Sometimes I send little cards to show that I recognize the importance of a friendship, sometimes I spend a few extra minutes on the phone to say thank you for all that you’ve done for me, and sometimes I just stop by a coworker’s classroom to say hi.  I’ve even noticed that I’m a little more vocal about this with my students.  I give them candy when I mess up their names or when I lose patience with them for silly reasons.  I write them little notes and attach candy (this is a must with high schoolers) when I notice that they’re having a rough day.  The origin of these acts is not lost on me—I know that I do these things because my friends and family do them for me.  I guess I’ve realized the importance of little gestures of appreciation.  They aren’t so little to the person receiving them.  Trust me on that!  Next time you think about doing something small for someone, spend the time you would have wasted on thinking of reasons NOT to do it and just do it.  You’ll feel better, and who doesn’t like to receive a piece of candy or a little note to brighten their day? 

I think I might have a hard time explaining this next one, but bear with me.  I have become a little more willing to stand up for myself and to not let other people’s actions ruin my day.  Before Max’s death, I would have considered myself pretty passive.  I still don’t like confrontation, but I don’t go out of my way anymore to avoid it either.  I’m much more likely to call people on their rude or inconsiderate acts.  Some people might consider this a bad thing, and I can see your point.  But I also used to waste hours of my life wishing that I would have said something to the woman who was rude to Ethan at the grocery store or the receptionist who was absolutely no help to me at the doctor’s office or the woman at my dentist’s office who tried to make herself feel better for not doing her job by blaming me for not getting preapproval for my teeth cleaning.  Obviously, I’m getting a little too specific for these things to have not happened to me lately!  The difference now is that I said what I wanted to to these people, and I was surprised to find that I didn’t dwell on it all day.  I actually felt better.  I told the woman at the grocery store that she was being incredibly rude…to a five-year-old child.  I think it was important that I stood up for Ethan and that he saw that I will stand up for him when someone else is in the wrong.  After all, if I call him on his rudeness and lack of consideration, then shouldn’t I be willing to do that to others as well?  I told the woman at my doctor’s office (she is the ONLY rude one, trust me) that I didn’t appreciate her unwillingness to find the answer to a simple question for me when I knew that the expectations of her superiors were much higher than that.  In my defense, I was trying to find out whether I was going to have an “invasive” procedure done at an appointment that I had to bring my six-year-old son to.  And I told the woman at my dentist’s office that while it might not technically be her job to make sure that my cleaning was approved by my insurance company, it was shameful and unethical of her to call me several times before my appointment to tell me that she had, in fact, gotten all of the charges cleared by my insurance company.  I guess the lesson is that letting other people determine my moods and, in some cases, take advantage of me is not an option anymore.  It made me feel weak and frustrated before.  Now, maybe the woman at my dentist’s office will think twice before she lies to another patient since one already called her on it.  Maybe the woman at my doctor’s office will be a little more willing to do her job since I wrote a letter to her office manager.  As for the woman at the grocery store…if you’re rude to a five-year-old, then I’m not sure there’s much hope for you anyway.  Some people just can’t be helped…

One final “lesson” that I’ll touch on applies to everyone, and it’s one lesson that I’m very grateful to have learned.  It is, simply, that we’re not guaranteed a certain amount of time with our family and friends.  We all realize this, but I’m not sure that most of us do anything about it.  I’m not saying that you need to go crazy like some people who we are all friends with on Facebook.  You know who I’m talking about—he/she just climbed a mountain this morning!  Then he/she made a sweater for a needy child by hand!  Then he/she cooked a five-course meal from scratch, even the dinner rolls!  Then he/she took all seven of his/her children for a visit with Santa and then came home and made cookies and decorated them and churned some butter and hand washed every article of clothing owned by all family members, including the dogs’ sweaters and ran six miles and worked for 18 hours and made a movie and painted the ceilings in every room.  I’m talking more about the moments when you are exhausted and looking forward to a few minutes to yourself.  You’re interrupted by a crying baby or a sleepless toddler or even a six-year-old who just won’t stay in his bed.  What might have been an annoyance before is really a gift now.  It’s a few more minutes with my child that I wouldn’t have gotten had he stayed in bed.  Of course, I would LIKE for him to stay in bed and develop wonderful sleeping habits, but I try not to be so annoyed that I forget how much I enjoy hanging out with Ethan.  This doesn’t mean that I let Ethan dictate everything he does, including when he sleeps, or that I say yes to every request to do something.  He wants to go to the creek, he wants to build a fort, he wants to play Lego’s, he wants to skip a bath, etc.  Sometimes it’s just not possible to do those things, but I try to find something to do with him, even if it means just cuddling up on the couch and watching a movie.  I guess I’m more willing to put things that I want to do on hold to do things that he wants to do, and I enjoy every second of it.

I’ll never be able to make a complete list of the lessons that I’ve learned from Max’s life and death, and to be clear, I will never agree if you tell me that the point of Max’s life was to teach me these things.  The point of his life was to bring us all love and happiness and to receive those things in return.  He wasn’t guaranteed a certain amount of time to experience life, unfortunately.  The lessons that I have learned from Max are the inevitable results of losing someone that I loved so much and that I miss so much.  Losing Max didn’t make me stronger, it didn’t happen for a reason, and no matter what others might say, it is NOT part of any “plan.”  It is horrible, it is tragic, and I would give anything for it to never have happened.  These lessons are a way for me to come to terms with Max’s death and to make sure that he is still a part of my daily life, even though it’s not the way I want him in it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment