My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

January 16, 2012--Nothing Will Ever Be the Same


Nothing will ever be the same.  I’ve known this for a while, but I think it’s just starting to sink in…almost 8 months after the moment that ensured that nothing would ever be the same.  People say this all the time without really thinking of everything that “nothing” entails.  For me, it really does include everything.  I make brownies, and I think of Max.  He would be almost 9 months old.  Would I let him try a little piece of the brownies?  Probably not because I made peanut butter brownies, but that leads me to realize that I wouldn’t have made peanut butter brownies if Max were alive since it’s generally thought to be unsafe to give peanuts to young children who could have a severe allergy to peanuts.  That leads me to realize that my life is totally different in even the smallest of ways.  I made peanut butter brownies in my real life, but I made regular brownies in my “fake” life, the life that I sometimes feel that I should be living.  These things happen all the time.  They happen every day, hundreds and maybe even thousands of times a day.  Every time I buckle Ethan into his booster seat, I see the empty seat next to him.  Max’s car seat should be there.  I should be racing to the other side of the car in the cold weather to get Max into the car while Ethan gets settled into his seat.  But I’m not.  I’m just buckling Ethan in.  When I get home from school and sit on the couch, I think that I should be getting Max out of his car seat and probably changing his diaper.  I should be putting him into a highchair that (thankfully) we don’t have and giving him something to snack on.  What foods would he like?  His personality was already very different than Ethan’s, so I often think that he wouldn’t like the foods that Ethan liked as a baby.  I think that we would have had fun at the grocery store picking out new foods for Max to try.  I think that he would have smiled and laughed when I showed him some of the strange-looking fruits in the store.  Maybe he would have demanded to try some of them, and then I would have learned something new—how to cut and serve something new, a dragon fruit, for instance.  Maybe I would have liked dragon fruit too.  In those ways, my life would be different. 
            It means something a little bit different for nothing to ever be the same though.  It means that shopping for diapers will never be as mindless as it once was, smiling at a young child won’t be as natural as it once was, and watching TV shows or movies will never be as easy and innocently entertaining as it was before.  Even TV shows remind me of Max.  Last night, we watched one of our favorites, Sons of Anarchy.  If you’ve seen this show, then you would probably recommend it to us as a pretty effective distraction.  How in the world would a show about a motorcycle gang remind me of my innocent little baby who probably never even got to hear a motorcycle in his short life?  In the episode, a man finds his dad dead.  His screams and pleads to his dad to wake up reminded me of my own upon realizing that Max was dead.  I understood entirely what that character was thinking—I knew that my son was dead, but there is a part of me that wouldn’t allow it to be possible yet.  We live in a world where almost anything can be fixed; certainly my baby can be fixed, I naturally thought.  I could hear myself screaming, but it was the sort of mindless screaming that is more of an impulse than a planned reaction.  I’d only seen that in movies before, and now I understand that people familiar with death must have been the ones to first coach actors on how to portray it.  In another scene of this episode, the dead man’s body is cremated.  Max was cremated, so the connection there is pretty obvious.  Unfortunately, watching the scene forced me to consider things that I’ve been able to force out of my mind before—the heat, what the flames must have done to his perfect body before it turned to ashes, how the person operating the crematorium must have felt to watch such a small box be reduced to so few ashes, how horrible it all really is, and how I can never again watch a scene like this without thinking of Max.  Cooking will never be the same (what would I be making for Max, what dish would he have requested on his birthday every year, etc.), reading the news will never be the same (I can relate to the sadness and tragedy that many articles contain, I can’t be an uninvolved observer in some cases anymore), getting ready in the morning will never be the same (I should be waking up earlier, I should be taking breaks to help Max get ready, I should be leaving earlier to drop him off at daycare), even getting the mail will never be the same (I would be pushing Max in a stroller to the mailbox, we wouldn’t be getting mail for Max’s foundation, and Babies R Us mailers wouldn’t be so hurtful).  This is what people mean when they say that their lives have changed so much that nothing will ever be the same.  It means that they can longer do anything without thinking in some way of the loved one who is no longer here.  It means that I can’t function without thinking of Max and that simple things are made more difficult by reminders of what is missing.  Things like walking up a set of stairs are more difficult because I remember what it was like to hold Max while walking up those stairs.  I remember how careful I was and how I thought with horror of all of the potential accidents that could happen on those stairs if I wasn’t very careful while holding him. 
            We did something yesterday that seems simple, something that parents do all the time for children who are still alive and growing—we put away some of Max’s clothes.  Obviously, this is made difficult by many factors, not the least of which being that Max is dead, so we won’t be replacing the old clothes with new, bigger ones.  We’ve been working on a plan for Max’s room with our counselor, and we have already decided that most of Max’s things will go into storage.  We aren’t ready to make any permanent decisions regarding his things, so they will all stay here with us for now.  If we decided in five years to donate his clothes, then so be it.  For now, though, we just cannot stand the thought of another child, even our own, wearing clothes that belong to Max.  We started in the closet where there is a dresser full of clothes that Max never got to wear, clothes that are bigger than he was.  It wasn’t easy to see those clothes.  I remember buying some of them and receiving others as gifts.  I remember picturing Max wearing them as an older baby.  Those clothes, in a way, represent the hopes and dreams that we had for Max, the future that we thought we could guarantee him.  They represent everything that I still feel was unfairly and unjustly ripped from him and from us.  They represent the anger that I still have and the confusion and the frustration and the loss.  But I’m glad we started there because it only got worse.  When we moved to Max’s changing table, I was a little surprised to find the bottom drawer still full of his clothes.  These were the clothes that fit Max and that he still wore.  I don’t even know what to say about this drawer other than it was hard and emotional and I’m glad it’s done.  I did pull some things aside to keep more accessible than the others:  a blanket embroidered with Max’s name, a few of my favorite onesies, the outfit that Max wore home from the hospital (shirt, shoes, hat), and a tiny little “Peepee Teepee” that we learned to use since Max was a bit unpredictable during diaper changes.  Finally, we took the bedding off of Max’s crib and put that in a container with the clothes.  In all, we filled up two containers before we decided to call it a night.  We both needed a break, so we took one.  We still have a lot to do, but I feel good that we at least started it.  Cleaning Max’s room and getting it ready for another baby is a task that has been hanging over my head, waiting to be finished.  Starting it at least gets us closer to finishing than we ever have been before.  Still, it feels as if packing up Max’s room is just one more way to say goodbye to him and to make him a little less accessible in our lives.  It is one more way in which I realize the impact of Max’s life and death and that, truly, nothing will ever be the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment