My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

July 8, 2011--Part 2


I got a message from a dear friend the other day, and it brought tears to my eyes.  A lot of things do that to me lately, but this message is really special.  It came from Ethan’s former babysitter, Jenny.  Through the years, Jenny became much more than just a childcare provider for us—she became a friend, a support system, and a member of our family.  This message was meant to be shared in the guestbook, but it’s obviously a little long for that!  I’m sharing this because I wrote something earlier that I don’t feel like sharing now.  I wrote in when I was feeling very angry and sad, and I would rather post something a little more positive now.

Through my eyes, when I met the McFall family about four years ago, I fell in love immediately. I first spoke with Lindsey by email and phone as they were looking for childcare for Ethan. Lindsey was open about Ethan's sleeping patterns or lack there of. The fact that he was a little difficult as an infant but being almost one had outgrown most of the fussiness. Just as she had explained each of his not so pleasant traits she was just as quick to tell me all of his delightfulness. It was agreed that they would come meet me. To my surprise, it wasn't just one parent coming to meet me. It was the three of them. I loved how easy going and laid back they all felt. They came in and sat on the floor with Ethan. We all sat and covered the normal daycare interview topics. I think they read the check list of what to ask providers. They asked if they could run a quick errand to see how Ethan does.. Ethan was crawling. He did fuss a bit as they left, understandably so. By the time they were down the street Ethan was happy, playing with my girls, crawling all about. Scott and Lindsey came back within the hour....this is when I knew they were my new favorite family. Not because they came back promptly, it was how both got down to his level and spoke to him so sweetly. You could tell they missed him in that short time. I loved that.
Over the next couple of years they became part of our family, remaining my favorite of all the daycare families. My girls warmed up to all three quickly. Ethan settled in on his days here easily. At drop off and pick up, Lindsey and Scott both took the time to make Ethan's transition smooth...no matter what their day was like. What I saw was that Ethan was loved and most importantly, he knew it. Through my eyes, I saw love and patience.
Then it was time for my little buddy to go off to preschool. Although this made me sad, I was okay with it because I knew I'd still be able to see them. I was excited for him to grow a little more, experience new things, and be the little man he was ready to be.
I have had the pleasure of watching Ethan grow through the stability and love Scott and Lindsey gave unconditionally. I have also had the pleasure of getting to know their extended family. The McFalls, they are my favorite family!
I would get so excited when Lindsey would inquire about spots being open.....always quick to ask if it was for a new member of the family. No, not yet, for a friend or neighbor. Then the message came! Lindsey was pregnant! I'm pretty sure you could hear me scream ten miles away. I'm not one to push or prod when that next baby may come. I am a firm believer of waiting until you are ready. The McFalls were the one family I secretly wanted to grow. Through my eyes, they were the perfect parents. I wanted all my daycare kiddos to come from a family like theirs.
I got to meet baby Max the day before his passing. Through my eyes, I saw a proud but tired mommy and a busy big brother. I had already made up my mind that I needed my Ethan fix before giving that baby Max any attention. I wanted my little buddy E to know that I loved him first. He and I have a bond, indescribable really. We just mesh well. So I got my fix of the big brother...then my baby radar was going mad. I wanted to meet this baby. He was so long and that hair! Strong and alert. That baby Max. As he and I walked around as Lindsey and the kids were about the house I kissed the top of his little head and took in that baby smell. To this day I still have that thought in my mind. That is my memory of Max.
Through my eyes, Lindsey and Scott are my version of being the perfect parents. Perfection means making mistakes, learning from them, loving, providing, caring, teaching, entertaining, humor, and all the things they have. They are my favorite family.
Thank you Lindsey and Scott for sharing your little family with me. It means more than I could even try to put into words.

No comments:

Post a Comment