My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

July 27, 2011--A Visit to the Fire Station


I went to the fire station yesterday.  Twice.  I called Scott as I was heading back for my second visit of the day.  I left him a message telling him of my unplanned visits.  I said, “I am crazy.  I’m pretty sure I know why I’m crazy, but what are we going to do about it?”  I’m a little bit glad that he didn’t answer because he probably would have appealed to my logical side and convinced me not to go back and create even more of a scene.  My emotional, impulsive side has been winning all battles over my logical side lately, and I don’t think it’s such a bad thing. 

On my way home from dropping Ethan off at school, I decided that I was going to stop at the fire station.  I wanted to get the names of the firefighters who responded to our house the morning of Max’s death.  I felt like I should send them personal thank you cards instead of one impersonal card for the whole station.  I know very little about the workings of emergency response teams, so I just assumed that the firefighters who came to our house that morning would not be on duty.  I imagined myself walking into the station, getting a list of names, and then leaving.  That is not at all what happened.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I really wasn’t nervous.  I walked up to the door, but it was locked and I didn’t see the doorbell, which just happens to be right next to the door.  Go figure.  Normally I might have gotten a little frustrated, but things like that don’t phase me any more.  I walked through the open garage door and into the back entrance.  I startled the firefighter who was sitting at the table talking on his phone.  I learned later that his name is David.  I apologized for barging in on him and asked if I might be able to get the names of the firefighters who were on duty in the early morning hours of June 10th.  He was very friendly and got up to go check with another firefighter, Bob.  I don’t remember who asked me, but someone asked if firefighters had come to my house on June 10th.  I said yes, but didn’t offer any more of an explanation.  No need to ruin someone’s day by sharing my sad story.   At some point another firefighter came out.  He asked me what my address was, and we determined that he and his family live just a few houses down from me.  What a small world.  He doesn’t even work at this fire station normally.  His home station is a few miles away, but for some reason he was at Fire Station 5 yesterday.  We joked a little bit about Jerry Springer being on the TV.  They had been watching the news, but no one noticed or changed the channel when Jerry Springer came on afterward.  It was funny picturing all of these macho men sitting around on the couches watching Jerry Springer.  I believe them that they don’t watch it all the time, but still.  By this time, Bob had come from the back room and was saying that they were the firefighters on duty on June 10th.  David said, “We were on duty, but you don’t look familiar.”  I said that none of them looked familiar either, but that they would probably remember the call.  “It was my newborn son,” I said.  It was one of those moments when you can feel the air change in a room.  All jokes about Jerry Springer were put aside, and they definitely weren’t smiling anymore.  Bob and David both shook their heads.  “That was us,” one of them said.  Their faces were solemn and sympathetic.  It’s weird—I don’t remember any of their faces from June 10th, but I remember the looks on them.  They were the same looks I saw yesterday.

Maybe I’m an idiot, but I had not even considered the possibility that the same responders would be on duty yesterday.  So I obviously had not planned what I would say to them if they were.  I’m sure that showed because I rambled and rambled.  I didn’t know what to say.  None of us did.  I remember saying all sorts of weird stuff—things about never wanting to see them again at my house, a thank you here and there, and something about wanting to bring them donuts.  I also started bawling at some point.  I don’t know what I was trying to say when it started, but it just came on like it always does.  Bob was very nice and hugged me, which calmed me down a lot.  I apologized and told them that I thought I could handle it that day.  I think seeing the men who were at my house the morning that Max died was just plain shocking to me.  I can’t believe that I was naïve enough to just assume that they wouldn’t be working.  I guess I have a long way to go before my brain will really start functioning again.  I decided that it was probably time to go.  I don’t particularly enjoy standing in a room full of strangers and crying.  Not because I feel weird, but because I don’t want them to feel awkward.  That’s a big burden to put on people who don’t know me as anything other than the woman who lost her baby.  So I left.  David showed me where the doorbell was for the next time I came to visit.  I forgot to mention that they also invited me back to the fire station.  I told them that they might regret that open invitation later.

I couldn’t stop thinking of things that I should have said or asked when I left.  I made it home and stayed for about 5 minutes before I decided that I was just going to go back and ask the questions that I wanted to about that morning in June.  They gave me an open invitation to come back whenever I wanted to, and obviously I was going to take advantage of it.  This time I stopped at Dunkin Donuts before I went.  If I was going to pester them with questions that they probably didn’t want to answer, I might as well bring them some sort of treat.  For some reason, I requested all donuts without sprinkles.  Firefighters don’t like sprinkles, I remember thinking to myself.  See?  I really am crazy.  Everyone loves sprinkles.  This time I rang the doorbell, and David answered the door.  I told him that I would like to try again and introduced myself a little more eloquently than the last time.  I asked Bob and David if it would make them uncomfortable if I asked them a few questions.  They immediately said no.  I can tell that they are the type of people who would have said no, even if they meant “Yes, they will make me incredibly uncomfortable; please do not proceed.”  I sat at the table and started with my questions.  Below is a brief recap of what I can remember.

Q:  Did either of you perform CPR on Max?
A:  No
Q:  Did you use a defibrillator?
A:  No

Both of those answers surprised me.  I had assumed that both CPR and a defibrillator had been used on Max.  There were adhesive strips left behind, which I assumed were from a defibrillator.  I asked about them.  Bob told me that they knew right away that Max was dead and that he had been for some time.  The paramedics hooked Max up to a heart monitor, which showed that he was asystolic—flat lined, basically.  That’s what the adhesive strips were from, not a defibrillator.  He explained that the last thing that they wanted to do was to give us false hope by performing CPR or transporting Max by ambulance to the hospital.  I told him that I actually really appreciated that.  I know parents whose children have been transported to the hospital despite showing no signs of life.  They recount driving to the hospital and thinking that there must be hope.  After all, you don’t take dead people to the hospital, right?  Once they get to the hospital, their hopes are dashed.  They hold their babies and say goodbye in a cold, clinical hospital room.  And then they go back home to their empty houses and the investigation.  At least we got to say goodbye to Max in our home, in his home.  I know that many people are bothered by the fact that Max lay on our living room floor for two hours after he died.  I am too, but if he had to lie anywhere that morning for two hours, I’m glad it was at our house.  It was very hard to let people come into our house and take his body away, actually.  I didn’t watch it happen.  I don’t think I could have.  I do remember asking, for some reason, if they had a tiny body bag that they would put him in as opposed to the big ones for adults.  I don’t remember the answer.  I hope it was a little one; I’m not sure why.

I asked Bob how long he thought Max had been dead.  He qualified his answer by pointing out that he is not a medical examiner or time-of-death expert.  I appreciate that, but I bet his experience has taught him way more about establishing a time of death than he gave himself credit for.  The time of death on Max’s death certificate is 6:01 am.  This time is a formality; it is absolutely not true.  We called 911 around 5:55 am.  Max was not alive when we placed that call.  Bob told me that he believed that Max had been dead for at least 2-3 hours before the paramedics and firefighters got to our house.  I hope this doesn’t sound selfish or morbid, but I was relieved to know that.  All this time, I’ve been thinking that we missed Max’s death by mere minutes.  In my memories of that morning, he is warm and his lips aren’t blue yet.  I think I remember him that way because that’s how I wanted it to be.  It’s not true though.  I feel some sort of relief in knowing that we didn’t miss seeing our boy alive again by just a few minutes.  There is nothing that we could have done either way, but I don’t think I could live with missing him breathing by just a few minutes.

We talked for a few more minutes, and then the paramedics came back from a call.  I assumed that I wouldn’t recognize them either, but I did.  I handed Max to Raymond at the bottom of our stairs.  I think that Raymond recognized me too.  I recognized Alexis immediately.  She knew exactly who I was too.  Leave it to the two females to recognize each other.  We all talked for a few more minutes.  We talked about their kids, Ethan, and the different support systems that we are using to try to cope with Max’s death.  Notice that I said “cope with” and not “get over.”  That’s an important distinction.  I told them about my neighbor, Carol, whose husband used Fire Station 5’s services often during his battle with cancer.  I told them that I would bring Carol next time and maybe even Ethan.  I would like to bring the whole world to show them how nice and genuine these men (and woman) are.  They turned what could have (and probably was) a very awkward situation into one that was at least tolerable if not enjoyable.  I don’t think I ever really expressed my feelings of appreciation for them.  I’m a bit of a bumbling mess lately, if you haven’t noticed.  I guess what I wanted to tell them is thank you.  Thanks for the sacrifices that you make to help others.  Thanks for being brave enough to walk into a home where parents have just lost a child and react with sympathy and kindness.  Thanks for being caring and understanding enough to let a grieving woman barge into your fire station and ask you questions about a day that you’d probably like to forget.  Thanks for actually inviting said woman back even though she isn’t the best company right now.  Thanks for being so selfless, considerate, and honorable.  Thank you for treating my son with dignity and respect.  And thanks for letting me hear you say his name.  

No comments:

Post a Comment