My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

September 12, 2011


I haven’t been getting a whole lot of sound sleep lately.  I have no problem falling asleep; it’s the staying asleep part that gives me trouble.  I wake up several times a night.  Most of the time I fall right back asleep, but sometimes it takes a while.  Most of the time I’m not thinking of anything in particular and can’t really pinpoint specifically what woke me up.  In general, I probably don’t need to spell out what is waking me up.  It’s Max.  My thoughts of him, my dreams of him, my absolute obsession with him.  Sometimes I wonder when every single thought in my head will center on things besides just Max.  Then I think, a little panicky, what if it never stops?  And then I feel like a jerk for wanting to think about other things besides Max.  But I think I deserve that.  The truth is, not every thought I have of Max is wonderful and precious and comforting.  A lot of them are bad, actually, because they mostly involve the one thing that can’t be avoided:  the fact that he is dead.  I see a mom in the grocery store pushing her little baby around while her older child walks beside them, and all I see is me not getting to do that.  I see Ethan gaze at my friend’s newborn baby, and all I see is him not getting to do that with Max anymore.  It doesn’t matter what I see, really, because I don’t see what’s really there; I see what’s been taken from me and from Max.  I teach my students a new word, and all I think of is that Max will never get to learn that word.  I put a sticker on Ethan’s sticker chart, and I think that Max will never, ever get a sticker.  He’ll never taste the lollipop that Ethan got from the nice cashier at Trader Joe’s tonight, he’ll never get a birthday card with his favorite animal on it, he’ll never make us proud by sleeping in his own bed and pottying in the big boy toilet.  I know it sounds selfish of me, and I’ll be the first to admit that.  It is selfish, but grief is selfish.  You don’t have time to worry about other people when you’re falling apart yourself. 
            On Friday night, I had another sleepless night.  We were in Tulsa at Scott’s parents’ house to celebrate Scott’s birthday and his mom’s.  I was exhausted in the way that all teachers are on Friday nights.  It had been a hard week too in the way that some weeks are worse than others when you’ve just lost your son.  Anyway, I went to bed about 10:30 and fell asleep quickly.  And then I started waking up.  Every 30 minutes, almost on the dot.  I think some of my restlessness had to do with Saturday being the 10th, three months past the day that Max died.  Some time around 1:00, I started to imagine the things that I would have been doing exactly three months prior.  At 1:00 am, I would have been almost home from the KC Sporting game that I wish I had never gone to.  At 1:30 am, I would have been getting into bed and kissing Max one last time.  I remember looking at him before I fell asleep that night.  I remember smiling at how beautiful and perfect he was.  I remember feeling so lucky.  At 2:30 am, I would have been sleeping soundly.  At 3:00 am, Max could have already been dead, but I didn’t know it yet.  At 6:00 am, I did, but I wasn’t letting myself believe it.  I was giving him CPR.  I was trying to stay calm, but I eventually started screaming.  I knew what was going on, but I didn’t know.  At 6:00 am, I was blowing air into Max’s mouth and willing it to do something.  I was begging it to work.  It came right back out, and I knew, but I kept breathing anyway.  I couldn’t give up.  At 6:00 am, I was using my fingers to do chest compressions on my little 12-pound baby boy’s chest and trying not to hurt him.  I didn’t want to crack a rib; that wouldn’t be fun to recover from!  Of course, I knew that there would be no recovering from anything, but I didn’t really know.  I just kept on.  My hands and my breath and my mommyness would save him!  I made him; surely I could save him!  I think this is what they call “magical thinking,” and I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t work, no matter how much work and heart you put into it.
            I woke up at 6:22 in the guest room at Jim and Betty’s.  I looked down at Ethan, asleep in his little pod on the floor next to the bed.  It was exactly where Max’s pack and play would have gone, exactly where he should have been sleeping.  I thought about what I would have been doing three months ago, and I felt like I knew exactly what I was doing.  There’s no way to know for sure, but I feel confident of it.  I was sitting on the stairs in my house.  Two or three police officers stood at the foot of the stairs, leaning against the wall, probably feeling incredibly awkward.  I sat staring at Max’s body on our living room floor.  A baby blanket covered him.  I had gotten the blanket out just the day before to play with him on the floor.  That is the definition of irony:  a baby blanket meant for play covering a dead baby’s body.  How cruel.  I sat on the stairs shaking my head.  My signature move when I’m crying is to fan my face as if the act itself will somehow erase what is making me cry in the first place.  I didn’t fan my face that day.  I let the tears come, and I shook my head.  I’m not going to say that it felt like a bad dream or that it just couldn’t have been true.  I knew it wasn’t a dream, and I knew it was true.  But I willed it to not be true.  I willed it to just go away.  Just like I willed my hands and breaths to save Max, I willed the world to take back what it had done to me.  Unfortunately, this was just as effective as making someone take back something hurtful they’ve said.  You can’t take it back.  It’s always there.  So, maybe I shouldn’t feel so bad about wanting to be able to think of things besides Max.  I don’t know if it will ever happen, but I’ll deal with it either way.  I owe that much to Max.
            I don’t remember going back to sleep after 6:22 on Saturday.  I had a horrible day as far as days go, but I was surrounded by good people who care about me.  Seeing babies was harder for me that day.  Honestly, seeing people was just plain hard for me.  The three-month “anniversary” of Max’s death hit me harder than any others so far.  Maybe because we’re all going back to “normal.”  Actually, we aren’t, the rest of the world is.  I do know that I’ve accomplished some things that I didn’t think were possible in the past three months.  I’ve gone an entire day without crying.  I’ve had fun with friends.  I’ve done a pretty good job at work.  I’ve held a couple of babies.  I’ve come to terms with the fact that I might not have another boy.  I’ve thought of Max and smiled.  I’ve loved Ethan and Scott and my family and my friends with all of my heart, even though I thought it might never work again.  I’ve done a lot of things that seem small, but they are the things that really matter when you look at the big picture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment