My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

September 5, 2011--Small World


The day after Max’s funeral, I had my six-week postpartum check-up.  I decided not to reschedule it; I just wanted to get it over with.  It was hard to walk into the office where I had gone monthly, then weekly when I was pregnant with Max.  I had taken Max there a few times after he was born too.  I took him just a few days before he died just to have him weighed.  I felt like he was growing so fast, and he was.  The ladies in the office had gotten to know me well over the last year or so, and they oohed and aahed over every part of Max.  Of course, they loved his hair.  Everyone did.  They commented on how beautiful he was.  Everyone did.  They made me feel like he was the most perfect baby they had ever laid eyes on, and maybe he was.  I spoke with many of these women and my doctor on the day that Max died.  They were so concerned and wanted to do anything to help.  I loved my doctor and his staff before, but I really love them now.  Donna gets all the credit for referring me to this practice.  Thanks, girl!  Anyway, when I went for my postpartum check-up, the mood was obviously different.  The smiles and oohs and aahs were replaced with tears and hugs and comforting words.  I started to sit in the waiting room, and I knew I couldn’t hold it together.  Some of the receptionists came out and got me and took me back immediately.  I was already bawling.  My mom was with me.  I’m glad that she got to witness the kindness of everyone at my doctor’s office.  It just would be too good to believe unless you saw it firsthand.
            After my appointment, we went to Costco.  The reason for our trip there escapes me now, but I remember exactly how I felt.  I felt like I was floating, and I know that I had a dazed look in my eyes and an eerie (probably creepy) smile on my face.  Who smiles when they go to Costco?  Seriously.  My mom said something to me as we walked in that I will never forget.  It struck me as the complete truth.  Nothing I’ve ever heard sounded as true as what she said.  “There are probably at least three people in this store right now who have lost children.”  Of course!  Why hadn’t I thought of that?  One of the reasons why I had such anxiety in public places was because I hated the thought that no one knew that my son had just died.  No one knew how hard it was for me to make myself go to the store.  I was completely alone in my misery.  I worried that someone would be rude to me, and I would just crumble.  I would cry and scream and cause a big scene.  I would demand kindness and a proper apology from them.  “You don’t know what I’ve been through!” I would scream.  But that didn’t happen.  People weren’t rude to me.  Even at Costco.  Raise your hand if you have ever been to Costco without wanting to punch a fellow shopper in the face.  If you raised your hand, I would like to shop at your Costco.  And I think you’re lying.  Anyway, something about those words made me feel lighter.  I felt a sense of relief in knowing that there were people all around me who were sad too.  Sad about real things, like death and loss, not silly things like a bad hair day or a date gone wrong.  I never expected to feel that way after my appointment.  I expected to go home, crawl into bed, and emerge the next day.  But I didn’t.  I really surprise myself sometimes. 
            What my mom taught me that day was something that I badly needed to learn and that other people should probably keep in mind too.  You never know what other people have gone through.  You don’t know their sad stories that might be hidden behind their public smiles.  The woman who cut you off and snarled at you could be picking out flowers to put on her husband’s grave.  The man who sneaks in front of you in line could be on the verge of a panic attack after seeing a baby who looks like his dead daughter.  You just never know.  I’ve been keeping that in mind lately.  People probably look at me, Scott, and Ethan and think that we have a good life.  They see us smile and think, “What a cute little happy family.”  They have no idea what is missing in our lives.  I had an experience this weekend that really reminded me to never assume that people are happier or somehow better off than me.
            We took Ethan and our good friend Ellen and her son to Great Wolf Lodge for a little staycation.  Ellen has done so much for us.  She has been a constant presence at our house whether we’re having a good day or a really bad one.  She cleaned up after the murderous, Satanic dog killed Bonnie.  She too said sociopath serial killer dog to an emergency vet and then drove him to Lee’s Summit.  She got home at 5:30 in the morning.  She bought me a 90-minute massage at Great Wolf.  She is incredible.  So, as some small token of our appreciation, we took her and Cooper to Great Wolf Lodge.  As I stood in line waiting to check in, I was surrounded by babies.  Seriously.  They were everywhere.  None of them looked like Max, but I was jealous of all of their mothers.  The woman in line behind me chatted with her family members who sat on a nearby couch.  I gathered that she was the grandmother of the baby being held by a seemingly happy mom.  The baby was around the same age as Max would be, but she was a girl.  I stared at that baby with envy.  I felt sorry for myself that she had her baby and I didn’t.  I felt sorry for Max’s grandparents that they weren’t standing in line chatting with me while I held Max and played with him.  I was jealous of their happiness and innocence.  I want that!  I noticed Scott talking with some of the family members, and I just assumed that they were making small talk.  Pretty soon though, Scott came over and talked to the woman behind me in line.  It was clear that they knew each other.  She mentioned that her granddaughter was four months old.  Max would have been four months old the next day.  I kept waiting for her to ask how many children we had, but she never did.  For some reason I wanted her to know about Max.  Maybe it would make my rude staring a little bit understandable.  She asked about Scott’s parents, his brother, and our family, but she didn’t ask about our children.  We parted ways when it was my turn to check in.  I never said a word to this woman.
            As we walked toward our room, Scott filled me in.  The woman in line behind me was the mother of one of Scott’s high school classmates.  I had met him at the ten-year reunion a few summers ago.  I met his wife too, the one who I had been so jealous of holding the baby on the couch.  This classmate died not too long ago.  It was very sudden and very unexpected.  His wife was pregnant at the time.  She was pregnant with the little girl that she sat holding on the couch.  How naïve of me to be so jealous of them.  I just assumed that they were one big happy family coming to spend a nice weekend together.  How wrong I was!  I had been staring with envy at this woman who had lost her husband months before.  I had been so jealous of her as she sat playing with her daughter, who no doubt is a daily reminder of just what she has lost.  I envied this grandmother who never got to tell her son how proud she was of him and how beautiful his baby girl was.  I was so jealous of this tiny baby who will never, ever meet her father.  And I was jealous of the baby’s father, who I assumed was gathering his family’s bags from the car.  I couldn’t have felt like more of a jerk.  To think, of all the people in the lobby that day (and there were A LOT), I stood in line in front of the one woman who has experienced the same loss as me.  How weird that I focused all of my jealousy on the one mother in the entire lobby who has a hole in heart just like mine.  I wanted to find them later and tell them how sorry I was for their loss.  I wanted to rush back into the lobby and tell the woman behind me in line that I know how she feels.  I didn’t.  I never saw them again, but I’ve thought of them since then.  It’s funny how right our moms are about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment