My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

March 5, 2012--A New Path


I’ve been thinking about writing this post for a while now, but the timing never seemed quite right.  It’s not anything potentially offensive or intensely emotional or anything like that, but it is kind of a big deal for me.  This post is essentially about yet another way in which my life has changed since Max died.  Before Max died, I was planning on going back to work in August and was in the process of finding childcare for him.  I imagined myself dropping him off in the mornings before I went to work and picking him up right after school with Ethan.  I would head home with my boys.  I would get them dinner, make dinner for Scott and me, and then immediately start our evening routine of baths, dishes, homework, diaper changes, and then bedtime.  In my perfect world, I get to do enjoyable things after the boys are in bed, but in reality I would be grading or doing lesson planning the majority of the time.  And then I would go to bed and get up and do it all over again.  Before Max died, this life was fine with me.  It was a necessary means to an end.  The “end” is the weekend, summers, vacations, retirement, etc.  Since Max died, this life isn’t okay with me.  It’s not fine.  I’m not okay with being a full-time teacher and a part-time mom.  I’m not okay with spending a few hours maximum with my kids every day.  I’m not okay with giving up these years of their lives that I can never, ever get back.  So, I’m not going back to work next year.  I’m venturing into the world of stay-at-home-momness and filling my days with class parties, working with my husband, and being the full-time mom that I need to be.  

Before I got pregnant with Quinn, I would imagine myself getting pregnant.  It was one of the few images I had in the aftermath of Max’s death that brought me happiness and hope.  I would imagine our lives being filled with the joy of parenthood again, and I would imagine Ethan beaming with pride again during his first meeting with his new little sibling.  Even these images were followed with a sort of horror, though.  Would Ethan wonder when or if this sibling would die too?  Would Scott and I ever be able to feel the sense of permanence that should accompany a new life?  How would I ever trust another person to watch our new baby for a night out, let alone for five days a week while we worked?  I don’t have the answers to many of the troubling questions, and I can’t control them either.  I know that.  But I can control some of them, and I fully intend on doing that.  Losing a child makes you realize just how little control you really have in the grand scheme of things, so controlling the things that you can is more important than ever.  In the end, though, it’s not entirely about control, at least in the sense that most of us think about it.  My decision is about taking advantage of every moment that I have with my children.  My decision is about knowing what it feels like to have those future, imagined moments ripped away and not wanting to give up any of the ones that I could have as a result. 

In a way, I feel like I’ve been given a chance at a life that could be fulfilling in a totally different way.  I love teaching.  There is a lot to love about it.  I work with people whom I respect and truly connect with.  I work for administrators who are funny and make my days enjoyable.  I work with students who are genuine and curious and open-minded.  I tell them to give Hamlet a chance, and they do.  And they like it.  I ask them to share their opinions with me, and they are articulate and mature and surprising.  Not every day, but most days.  Some of my former students have become fixtures in my life.  I feel as proud as their parents must feel when they realize their dream of attending the Boston Conservatory, are selected for prestigious leadership programs at K-State, or give up all of their Christmas presents to make a donation to Max’s memorial fund.  I watch them in awe every year as they connect their lives to the material we study, win prestigious writing awards, and raise tens of thousands of dollars for local charities.  Yes, my job is fulfilling.  It is incredibly rewarding.  These things made it so hard to give up.  The people that I know because of teaching make it hard to give up.  There is one “job” that can exceed this fulfillment and sense of reward, though:  parenthood.  So, that will be my job for the foreseeable future.  This decision, like so many others I’ve had to make since Max died, creates a mixture of emotions:  nervousness, excitement, worry, stress, anticipation, and happiness.  It is stressful for obvious reasons.  We are a two-income family, and I may not make a ton of money, but I make enough to be a significant contributor to our lifestyle.  In the end though, I would rather stress about money than about whether I can spend enough time with my children, whether I will miss Quinn’s milestones, or whether Ethan notices that I’m one of the moms who never shows up for his parties at school. 

One of the many things that Max’s death has taught me is that you truly never know what will happen.  I’m approaching the next phase in our lives with that in mind.  I’m embracing the changes that are coming, and I’m not expecting anything about it to be easy or as expected.  I could end up having to go back to work after one year off, but at least I will have had that year with Quinn and Ethan.  I will be working part-time for Scott in his newly established solo practice, and it could be that my impact will be even greater than we anticipate it will be.  Maybe I’ll work with him for the rest of our “working” lives.  I’m also venturing into the world of higher education and teaching some college classes online.  Perhaps that will turn into more than a part-time venture.  Any or none of these things could happen, and I can’t control that.  I refuse to try to control that.  What I do know is that I’m making the right decision for myself, for Scott, for Ethan, and for Quinn.  And I have Max to thank for giving me the clarity and the strength to be able to walk away from something that I truly love in order to enjoy something that I love even more, my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment