My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

August 29, 2011--The Chair


I. am. having. a. bad. day.  Nothing really happened to make it bad other than that Max died 73 days ago, which I just realized is his number of days on earth inverted.  Hmmmm.  I’ve thought about him for all 73 days since then, and I’ll think about him for many, many more, I’m sure.  Today, I felt impatient, dull, and really, really, really angry.  I’ve been thinking about the idea of karma.  I wonder if a true believer in karma could explain to me what the hell I did.  What in the world could I possibly have done to make this come back around to me?  Sure, I’ve done bad things.  I haven’t always been the person that I wanted to be.  I haven’t always been proud of myself.  But still.  I would say I have been a pretty good person.  Not as good as some, but not nearly as bad others.  Am I having a pity party for myself?  Hell yeah I am.  I do feel sorry for myself.  The truth is, I think I should feel sorry for myself.  I would be sorry for anyone in my situation, and I am so sorry for other parents who have lost children.  I’m just having one of those days when my pity party is a much bigger event than normal.  If it were a real party, it would be the biggest, most extravagant party you’ve ever been to.  You would realize that you didn’t even know what a party really was before attending my pity party.  I want to scream and cuss and run and kick and cry and throw glass vases against sidewalks.  Don’t worry, I’m only really going to do maybe one or two of them.  I don’t feel like Max’s death was a punishment for some real or imagined wrong on my part or anyone else’s.  I don’t think I deserved it or caused it somehow.  It’s not any of those things.  Plain and simple, it’s that I’m just pissed that it happened.  I’m so angry. 
            I had a dream last night.  Please don’t judge me for it.  I don’t judge you for your weird dreams, and I know you have them.  I dreamt that I kidnapped a baby.  I feel that it is important to state that I would never, ever, no matter the circumstances, even if they included absolutely zero chance that I would ever get caught, kidnap another person’s child.  That would essentially be causing someone else the same pain that I’m in, and I wish this on no one.  No matter what you’ve ever done to me or said about me or thought about me, I would never wish this one you.  But in my dream, I was apparently a different person.  I didn’t feel bad for kidnapping this baby.  I felt like I was owed that baby.  I am an English teacher, so of course I overanalyzed the crap out of this dream.  In reality though, I do feel like I’m owed a baby.  I’ve been robbed of all the things that Max was supposed to do, and he has been robbed of those things too.  Ethan’s been robbed, and Scott’s been robbed.  So we’re owed, and I would like to collect.  For the record, I will go about collecting the good old-fashioned way.  I promise I will not kidnap a baby. 
            I just decided that this is going to be a ramble.  I’m entitled to it.  I’m feeling very entitled tonight.  I don’t go into Max’s room very often.  That’s something that I want to work on, but I am giving myself time.  I spent some time in there a few weekends ago with Lori.  We listened to this stupid song that I can’t seem to escape.  I don’t know what it’s called or who sings it, but I know the first line is, “If I die young…”  I don’t even care what comes after that.  That line is all that matters.  We sat around on the floor because Max’s chair is a sacred thing.  I was shocked to open the drawer to his changing table and find all of his clothes still there.  I had no idea.  I don’t know where most of his stuff is, but I know it’s here somewhere.  My sister packed it all up the day that he died.  I love her for that.  And I really love her for leaving his clothes in the drawer, whether she did it on purpose or as a sheer oversight.  I can’t describe that moment.  It was awful and wonderful.  It was so incredibly painful and so incredibly touching.  I loved it and hated it.  I remember buying every single item that was in that drawer.  Max was even with me when I bought some of them.  He sat in his car seat in the cart, and I talked to him the whole time.  He slept, but I didn’t care.  I imagined that me talking to him helped him stay calm and sleep well.  Other shoppers checked out the contents of my cart, including Max.  Some complimented him, some smiled, and some just stared.  It’s sad for me to think that other people can’t see him like that now.  What a difference a day makes.
            Like I said, Max’s chair is kind of sacred.  I usually head straight to it when I venture into his room.  It’s brown and soft and perfect.  Aaron took a video of me holding Max while sitting in it.  It was taken the day we brought him home from the hospital.  Aaron titled it, “Woman in War-Torn Country Begging for Potatoes.”  It’s a happy video.  I am beaming and playing the part of…you guessed it, a woman in a war-torn country begging for potatoes.  I don’t know why.  Aaron and I make quite an odd team.  Max sleeps silently and peacefully in my arms, a little too silently and peacefully for me now.  It sits at the very top of my email inbox.  It’s the first thing I see when I open my email at work.  Every time I watch it, I am engrossed by Max.  I don’t even look at myself.  I stare at Max, willing him to move or make a sound.  He doesn’t.  He just sleeps.  We have other videos, but for some reason that one really gets me.
            The chair is also sacred for me because it holds some of the tenderest memories that Scott has of Max.  Scott loved that chair.  He would rock Max in it, sometimes for hours after Max was already asleep, just to spend more time holding him.  That’s the kind of father Scott is.  It’s a beautiful thing to see.  I remember standing in the doorway on many occasions and just taking in that image.  I’m glad I did that now.  Scott would always smile at me, even if Max was crying or fussy.  He truly understood what a miracle he was holding.  I know that Scott goes into Max’s room more than I do.  I’ve put one of Max’s blankets in a Ziploc baggie to preserve the smell, and there are other things that hold his scent in that room as well.  His car seat, the sleeper that he wore when he took his last breath, and his Boppies.   I wish they made Ziploc baggies big enough to hold those things too.  One day, I went into Max’s room and made my way toward his chair.  A handful of coins were scattered on the cushion.  That image stopped me in my tracks.  It was heartbreaking and heartwarming to see that Scott had left a little reminder of his most recent visit.  The coins must have fallen from his pocket.  It reminded me of Hansel and Gretel, except that this time it was a devastated daddy leaving a trail for his dead baby.  I didn’t even bother moving them.  I sat down and let the coins tumble where they may.
            I spent some time in Max’s room after my friend’s baby’s funeral on Saturday.  The service was absolutely beautiful.  We were surrounded by love and compassion.  One of my students was there.  Strange.  He is my friend’s cousin.  I struck up a conversation with his mom, and she eventually got around to asking how I knew my friend, the mother of the dead baby girl.  I told her about Max and about the little support group that us mothers have formed.  I was shocked to learn that her sister’s daughter had given a baby up for adoption to a couple who lost a son to SIDS also.  Even weirder, she was AT the funeral.  We talked for a long time.  I can’t believe how small the world truly is sometimes.  Anyway, when I returned home I headed straight for Max’s room.  Scott joined me.  We’ve rarely been in there together.  We hugged in Max’s room, like we did many days and nights while he was still alive.  This time, we weren’t hugging because we felt so lucky or blessed, but the overflowing love for our precious baby boy was still there, stronger than ever.    
            

No comments:

Post a Comment