My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

July 11, 2011


I wrote earlier about the new relationships that I have formed since Max’s death with other parents who have lost children.  Just as my friends and family have helped me in ways that my news friends couldn’t have, these new friends have helped me in ways that my old friends couldn’t.  I would never choose one group of friends over the other the other; I need both of them for different things.  My old friends have given me the kind of comfort that new friends aren’t able to; they know how and when to make me laugh and when to just let me cry and hug me.  My old friends knew Max, and they know what me, Scott, and Ethan need right now.  My new friends have helped me discover that I will be happy again, though I will always be sad as well.  They’ve also helped me be okay with that sadness and given me some of the strength to do the things I am able to do now.  Without my family and new and old friends, I wouldn’t be able to go into Max’s room, write about my feelings, or even talk about him without becoming a blubbering, crying mess.  I still do that sometimes, but these new friends have helped me feel hope and be able to remember Max beyond the moments after finding him lifeless and not breathing. 
In the days after Max’s funeral, I wondered from room to room trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing.  Most of the time, I just ended up sitting on my back porch and staring into the trees behind our house.  I couldn’t begin to see a future without Max.  Being inside my house could send me into a panic sometimes.  I can’t explain it, but I suddenly felt claustrophobic.  I also couldn’t stand going into public.  Seeing other people living normal lives and having normal days with their normal families really pissed me off.  It seemed impossible that anyone could be normal when my little Max was gone.  It sounds ridiculous, but I really struggled with anxiety in public places.  I started feeling anxiety attacks coming on in Wal-Mart and Target, and I would hold back tears until I could drag my trembling body back to the car and break down.  I almost caused a scene at a Goodwill store.  That actually probably doesn’t sound so ridiculous to those of you who have been to a Goodwill store recently.  J  Anyway, I guess what I’m trying to say is that I felt very discombobulated.  Great word.  My mind raced twenty-four hours a day, and my body couldn’t keep up with it.  What I wanted to do was to be able to turn my brain off or escape it somehow.  I had a lot of moments of sheer panic, and I had strange urges during those times.  I wanted to go to the funeral home, I wanted to take donuts to the fire station, I wanted to plant a garden, I wanted to ride around in a convertible, etc.  Most of the time I didn’t go through with these urges, but sometimes I did. 
One of my urges was to talk to another mom who had lost a child.  It was more of a feeling of desperation than just an urge.  I desperately needed to talk to someone who could tell me with credibility that everything would be okay.  A friend of a friend of a friend (you get the picture) had given me the phone number of a woman whom she thought might be helpful for me to talk to, so I called her during one of those moments of desperation.  I had been sitting in Max’s room in the chair that we used to rock him in.  As I sat there, I stared at everything in the room that Max should have been using.  I stared at the clothes hanging in his closet that he never even got a chance to wear.  I stared at the dirty diaper in his trashcan.  I stared at the changing table where I had changed so many of his diapers while singing to him, talking to him, and staring into his curious eyes.  I stared at his car seat, his favorite blanket, and a burp cloth—all three still smell like him.  I couldn’t stand looking at all of it.  I left his room sobbing and shaking my head in denial, just like I had the morning of June 10th when the fire captain told us that Max was “gone.”  That’s when I decided to call this woman.  It was almost a challenge.  I was challenging her to prove to me that I would ever feel any way but devastated, angry, and hopeless.  Luckily, she did just that.  She shared her story with me.  Actually, she shared her stories with me because this woman has lost two children, one to SIDS and one to Trisomy 18.  She was encouraging, blunt, and compassionate during our conversation.  Although I was crying too hard to share much about Max during that first phone call, I hung up feeling peaceful and calm.  I have talked with this woman quite a few times, and I actually just met her in person a few days ago.  She put me in touch with many other women who have lost babies to SIDS, and we’ve formed our own little support network.  These women are some of the strongest, most optimistic women I have ever met, and we laugh and have fun together, despite the tragic common thread that brought us together.  I actually met one of my newest, yet closest friends indirectly through this support group.  More about her later…
I know when I’m having a really hard time seeing past today, I can count on one of these women to make me see a brighter future.  Yes, I will miss Max and feel that void every day, but I can also be thankful for the time that I had with him.  I wanted much, much more time, but his early exit from my physical life doesn’t mean that he is gone forever.  I have reminders of him every day, and I always will.  Sometimes those reminders make me sad, but other times they give me a smile and a feeling of peace.  I feel that same rush of love when I think about his smile and unique laugh that I felt when I first held him in my arms.  I know that will never go away, even if I can’t see his smile change with the addition of teeth or hear his laugh change through puberty.     

No comments:

Post a Comment