My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

March 18, 2012--Just a Mom Without Her Son


Today has been a tough day.  It started out that way.  It’s been brewing, I guess.  I know that I’m bound to have good days and bad ones, but I guess I still struggle with realizing that this is my reality.  I have to wake up every single morning and remember that my son is dead.  And then I have to figure out a way to face the day.  Some days, it’s just easier than others, and unfortunately today wasn’t one of those days.

I’ve been talking a lot with a mom who lost her daughter to SIDS almost two months ago.  She’s devastated, obviously.  We share so many of the same thoughts and ideas, and I can’t help but remember what it was like in those first few months.  It is painful to wake up in the morning.  It is literally painful.  The pain is everywhere, but it starts in your chest.  It’s the pang that comes along with the realization that you’re awake now and that your child is still dead.  Grief is painful in so many ways.  I never realized how sore it makes you.  My muscles and bones ached for months after Max died.  My head never stopped hurting.  My eyes were dry, the skin around my nose raw.  Sometimes I was sick to my stomach.  The physical pain is really the least of it.  I could deal with that.  It was the pain inside that was so unmanageable at times.  I mean, there are only so many distractions to be found and undertaken in a single day.  Sometimes I would just sit.  I would sit and stare and sometimes cry.  Sometimes I was too exhausted to cry.  Sometimes I was too pissed off to cry.  Every day was unpredictable.  While I have managed to get past the all-consuming grief that made it impossible to accomplish small tasks like going to the grocery store or cleaning a bathroom, I haven’t gotten past the unpredictability of it all.  I suppose I never will.

This new mom is so fresh in her grief.  It is heartbreaking.  I’ve never met her, but I don’t need to have met her to know that what she is dealing with is beyond what any parent should ever go through.  She also has an older child, another little girl.  We share so many similarities, even our hometowns.  She has a lot of support from her family and friends, and I know firsthand how crucial that is.  I also know how important it is to have people around you who can relate.  That’s a nice way of saying that you need other moms who have lost babies to lean on.  I felt my first glimmer of hope after talking to another mom who has lost not one, but two children.  If she can get through this, then I can too, I thought.  And it was true.  I can get through this, and I will. 

I originally started writing about Max’s death and my feelings because I had to get it all out somehow.  Writing about it gave me a sense of release that nothing else had given me.  I started sharing my writing because I hoped that it would help those close to me understand what I was going through.  I also hoped that it might help other parents.  I know that this mom has read my blog, and she told me that it has helped her.  She appreciates knowing that another mom has been exactly where she is and has been able to find some peace and feel some hope.  I know that she is probably reading this, so I want her to know that she will get there too.  It’s hard work, but it has to be done.  I want her to know that it’s been such a relief to have someone ask me about Max.  It’s been so good to be able to say his name and to share things about him.  I love hearing about her daughter, even though I know how it ends.  I like to picture her in those happy moments, and I hope she knows that those will be the memories that will stand out in the end.  Those are the ones that really matter.  What I really want her to know is that she has been as helpful to me as I hope I have been to her. 

I mentioned that today has been tough, and then I got sidetracked.  What’s new?  I went to breakfast with my family today.  My parents, my sister and her son, and Scott and Ethan.  I noticed a newborn boy brought in by his parents as we sat down at our table.  I’ve actually been okay lately with babies.  I still don’t like seeing newborns that belong to strangers, but I don’t burst out in tears or feel anxiety like I did before.  We ordered and ate our food, and then I just happened to look up as the mom carried the baby boy out of the bathroom.  I remembered doing the same thing with Max last year while I was out to breakfast with my parents.  This baby had a full head of black hair and beautiful skin, just like Max.  I held my breath a little.  The sight of that baby stopped me in my tracks, but I held it together.  Until he started crying.  Of course, as is my life, his family was seated at the table directly behind us.  He cried and cried.  Each sound brought me closer to bursting, but I was confident that I could keep myself together.  Obviously, I wasn’t upset or annoyed because the baby was crying; it was the familiarity of it all that was upsetting.  It was hurtful.  It was just another reminder of what was missing at the table and what will always be missing in my life.  I reached a point where it became pointless for me to sit in the restaurant any longer.  I (not so eloquently) told Scott I needed to go to the car and got up and left.  I was already sobbing, and I’m sure people thought that my tears were the result of some domestic disagreement.  Scott and I laughed about that later.  Poor Scott.  I am not hard on myself when I have breakdowns like this.  I know that it’s natural and healthy and that it’s just going to happen.  I’m fine with that.  I guess what it really shows is that I’ll never be immune to the emotional reaction that can accompany the sight of a newborn baby with black hair or the familiar sound of that baby crying.  It doesn’t matter how old I am, how long Max has been dead, or how hard I try not to cry.  I’m always going to be a mom without her son.     

No comments:

Post a Comment