My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

July 8, 2011--Part 1


Warning:  this post may not be pleasant to read.  One of my goals in sharing my feelings on this site is to help myself, my friends, my family, and maybe other parents in the same situation understand what I am going through.  Part of that involves being honest.  So, maybe it will be unpleasant for some, but it will definitely be honest.

Since Max’s death, we have been inundated with love and support from our family, friends, and even quite a few strangers.  I will be eternally grateful for the kind things that people have done for and said to us over the past few weeks.  People gave up their lives to help us get through ours.  Our house has been full of food, hugs, play mates for Ethan, and even laughter on occasion.  It has been nothing short of amazing to realize how loved Max was by everyone in our lives, and how loved Scott, Ethan, and I are as well.  Friendships have grown, relationships have become stronger, and I’m a hell of a lot more affectionate than I ever was before!  We’ve received cards every day since Max died, and we even got a package from California full of Green Lantern merchandise for Ethan (really, Melissa, just “a little something”?!?!).  We’ve gotten heart wrenching letters from other families who have experienced this most horrible type of loss, and I’ve made many new friends who, unfortunately, know exactly what I’m going through.  Something that has really surprised me is the amount of people I know who have shared similar stories with me about losing their own children.  I didn’t even know that most of these children ever existed.  I am so sorry for that.  I’ll never be able to thank everyone for the comfort that they’ve given us, and I know that most of them don’t expect a thank you card.  These acts of kindness and love have gotten us through our worst days, and they will continue to do so.

Now, the unpleasant part…I’ve also been quite surprised by how some people have reacted to Max’s death.  I have seen people I know look at me and turn the other way to avoid having to talk to me.  People I would normally say hi to and chat with for a few minutes.  I can’t tell you how much that hurts.  I know that it is not done out of malice; I know that these people do this because they don’t know what to say or do.  I understand that.  I don’t know how I would react if roles were reversed, but I’d like to think that I would acknowledge the pain and loss of someone so important rather than avoiding it because it makes me feel uncomfortable.  We had “friends” who didn’t show up to the visitation or memorial services.  I don’t know why because they also didn’t bother calling, texting, emailing, or even sending a Facebook message to let us know that they were thinking about us despite not being able to attend services.  This isn’t about keeping score or holding grudges.  It’s about how people treat each other.  Consider this:  My son was ripped from my life, and all I have left is a gaping, nagging, aching hole.  And it makes you uncomfortable?  I planned a life for Max and our family that will never happen, and it makes you uncomfortable?  I frantically performed CPR on my dead son, and it makes you uncomfortable?  I ran his lifeless body down a flight of stairs and handed him to a firefighter in desperation, and it makes you uncomfortable?  I begged and pleaded with God to save my son, even though I knew he was gone, and it makes you uncomfortable?  I hugged and kissed his dead body, caressed his face, and combed my fingers through his hair before his 12-pound body was cremated, and it makes you uncomfortable?  How utterly selfish and shameful of you.  How thoughtless and uncaring.  How do you think I feel?!?!?   Next time, instead of avoiding me out of your feelings of discomfort and awkwardness, just give me a hug and tell me that you are so sorry for my loss.  You might be surprised by how much comfort I get from these tiny acts of kindness.

Okay, I’m done with that rant.  To end on a positive note:  our friends, family, and strangers who have put aside their feelings of discomfort or awkwardness to spend time with us talking and crying—you have made all the difference in the world to us.  I can’t say thank you enough.  And thanks for not walking the other way when you see me.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment