My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

February 29, 2012


Scott and I still go to counseling once every other week, and we probably will for a while.  There was a point when we went every week, and I still went to individual grief counseling every week as well.  When Ethan was still in counseling, this meant that I spent the majority of my days either in counseling or sitting in a waiting room at Solace House while Ethan completed a session with his counselor.  Eventually, Ethan didn’t need counseling anymore, and I didn’t have a huge need for individual counseling either.  It wasn’t that we were “healed” or anything like that; it’s that we took the techniques that we learned from our counselors and figured out how to use them in our daily lives on our own.  I guess we were ready to give it a try on our own.  That’s the whole point of counseling:  to teach you how to cope on your own.   For good reason, Scott and I have continued to go to counseling together.  We’re not really trying to “fix” anything, but we are trying to learn how to grieve together and also how to heal together.  We have always had a pretty strong relationship.  Yes, we disagree and we argue, but somehow we have both been able to keep the bigger picture in mind.  We aren’t good at fighting, and we don’t do it often.  We are, however, very good at compromising, so we do that often.  I don’t just feel lucky to have a husband like Scott; I know that I’m lucky.  I know that I’m blessed, and sometimes I have felt that I got way more than I deserve with him.  No matter what has gone on or what issues we’ve had, I have always known without a doubt that Scott loves me to the core and with everything he has.  I know that he would do anything for me and that he would never do anything to risk what we have.  He listens, he understands, he cares, and he gives.  Scott is the most selfless person I know.  I can’t say enough good things about him.  That is why we go to counseling.  Because he means too much to me to not do anything and everything in my power to make sure that we are on this journey together.  Because he deserves all of my efforts.  Because he is my partner in everything, including losing a child.  Because I need to know that he will be okay.

At our last counseling session, Scott told our counselor about his day with candor.  He had a bad day, he said.  She wondered what made it bad.  Was there something in particular?  It turns out, there was something.  A pretty big something, in my opinion.  Scott has gotten into the habit of “checking on” Ethan since Max died.  He is terrified that Ethan will die.  I am too.  For most people, this fear can be written off as irrational or unfounded, but we aren’t “most people” anymore.  Ethan usually wanders into our bed at some point in the early morning hours, so checking on him has become a little bit easier, but it’s not done any less frequently.  On this particular morning, Scott woke up and looked at Ethan in our bed.  He looked too still.  Scott touched him, and he was cold to the touch.  He picked up Ethan’s arm, and it flopped back on the bed.  Scott was sure that Ethan was dead.  He put his hand near Ethan’s mouth and nose to feel for breathing, but he felt nothing.  Panic set in, and Scott picked Ethan up, just as he had picked up Max on June 10th.  Ethan still didn’t react.  Scott said his name and shook him a little.  Still no reaction.  Finally, Scott said, Ethan opened his eyes and looked at Scott.  In Scott’s words, Ethan’s facial expression seemed to say, “WTF, dad?”  That’s the only funny part of the story.  On a side note, I do think that we will become quite accustomed to that look in the years to come.  Scott is the one who woke up to find Max unresponsive and not breathing that morning, and this event echoed all of his findings that morning.  Obviously, the end result was quite different.  I cannot imagine how Scott must have felt in those moments when he was convinced that Ethan too was dead.  I cannot imagine how he even got out of bed that morning and went on with his day, but he did.  Of course, the day was a wash from that moment, but he still did everything that he was supposed to.  He took a shower, got dressed, got Ethan ready, helped him brush his teeth, and then dropped off his little boy at school and said goodbye.  He did all of this just a few hours after reliving the worst day of his life and convincing himself that it was all happening again.  I think I forgot to mention how strong Scott is.  And if he is the husband I described earlier, then can you imagine him as a father?  He’s amazing.  Truly. 

Hearing Scott talk about his morning made me realize how different our world is now.  June 10th marked the beginning of a completely new world to us, one that is scary at times and one in which your worst fears sometimes become your reality.  It is a world in which you look at your child and picture him dead.  It’s a world in which that thought isn’t even remotely impossible.  In fact, sometimes it seems more possible than impossible.  One of my friends, a fellow SIDS mom who is also pregnant, posted on Facebook the other day that she yearned for the innocence of new parents whose only worry is when they will sleep.  I yearn for that too.  I live in this world where it’s not silly anymore to think that my child could die.  The idea of a plane crashing into my house isn’t even a laughing matter anymore.  When I worry that Ethan’s growing pains are really the early signs of bone cancer, it’s not as easy to laugh it off and push that thought out of my mind anymore.  I used to be comforted by the fact that the odds were in our favor.  Do you know what the odds are of having a baby die of SIDS?  Now, odds don’t matter.  Anything can happen.  In this new world, no one is safe.  Every stranger, every co-worker, every friend, and every family member is a potential victim.  It gives the saying “It’s your world; we’re just living in it” a whole new meaning.  Usually I try to end on a positive note, but I think I’ve kind of dug myself too deep of a hole here.  I’ll just end by saying that this “new” world is quite unsettling and scary and sad, but I’m learning to live with it.  So is Scott.  It’s just a new part of our new life, and that’s okay.  We’ll never stop worrying that Ethan will die.  We’ll always worry about Quinn and any future children that we may have.  We’ll worry about our families, our friends, even complete strangers.  We’ll worry about each other.  Unfortunately, we’ll always know that we could be right for worrying.  This worrying, though, comes from a place of deep loss, but of deep love too.  It comes along with knowing that what you hold dear might be ripped from your arms tomorrow, so you better enjoy holding on to it while you still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment