My Journal of Heartache...and Hope

Our son Max was born on May 4, 2011. Life was busy, happy, and perfect for 37 days. Then, it wasn't.
A look back at our life before Max, with Max, and what comes after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

October 19, 2011--(Code) Shifting the Blame


This might sound strange, but sometimes I feel such a sense of hope.  I feel that way now.  In these moments, I feel like my “old” self, which I know I’ll never really be, but it’s nice to have glimpses of it.  I feel like I can smile without feeling guilty, and I feel like I. Can. Do. This.  I feel like I can breathe.  I feel like I can live with the knowledge that something horrible happened to me, that my son died, but that I can be happy again.  It’s a good feeling.  But I know it could be gone in a second.  For this reason, I try to soak it up.  I try to do productive things because I know I won’t have the energy to do them again when I’m not feeling so great.  Sometimes I write thank you cards or respond to the hundreds of messages that still need responding to.  Other times I work on the fundraiser or actually (gasp) get some grading done. 
            I joined a new support group through Solace House.  Everyone has lost a child, but these children have died at different ages and from different causes.  It’s odd how much I have in common with some of these parents.  Death dates, middle names, and of course, our shared loss.  It surprised me how emotional I got when I shared Max’s story.  It surprised me because I’ve been able to talk about it openly lately.  I’ve actually even talked with some of my students about Max and answered their very thoughtful questions.  Yet, when I sat in a room full of people who know what it means to lose a child, I crumbled and sobbed.  I couldn’t even speak through my crying.  It’s been a while since that happened, but I think I needed it.  No matter how good my days feel, there will always be some pretty heavy emotions that need to be released beneath the surface.  I won’t share any other stories from my support group because they aren’t mine to share.  I will say that I feel that this is a group that I truly belong to, despite my hesitations to join it.
            One thing that has not given me any comfort lately is hearing about other parents who have lost babies to SIDS since Max’s death.  There have been many of them.  Too many.  And the connections are just plain strange.  One of them is a childhood friend of Lori’s.  One of them is a patient of a friend of mine who is a midwife.  She delivered her baby, actually.  The former of the two lives in Jackson County.  The investigators told her that they have had more cases of SIDS in the past few months than they have ever seen.  The latter lives in Gardner.  The police there told her that her son’s death was the sixth SIDS case in six months in Gardner alone.  How naïve was I to think that SIDS didn’t happen that often anymore?  How would we know, though?  How many stories of babies dying of SIDS have you seen in your newspaper or on your newscast?  None?  Neither have I.  There is a real problem with that.  I almost feel, actually I do feel, like we parents live in a bubble sometimes.  In this bubble, we don’t know that our babies are at danger every time they fall asleep.  I mean, we do, but we really don’t.  We know that it could happen, but it happens to other people.  And you never have to hear about those other people or their sad, helpless stories. 
            I always thought, and statistics would back me up, that SIDS was rare and something that could be prevented by following a specific set of preventative measures.  Unfortunately, I was wrong, but not because I was uneducated or uninterested in knowing the facts.  If you know me or have read my blog since the beginning, you know that I constantly worried about Ethan dying of SIDS when he was a baby.  Obviously, I did my research.  I bought the most highly recommended mattresses, the baby monitor that alarmed you when your baby failed to move the recommended amount of times, I didn’t allow him to be around smoke, I didn’t use bumper pads, blah, blah, blah.  I did everything right.  What I’ve learned since Max died is that none of those things prevent SIDS.  Nothing prevents SIDS.  Absolutely NOTHING.  I’m not trying to scare people.  I’m sharing what I’ve learned and what pisses me off about the general public’s thinking about SIDS.  It is something that is mysterious, unexplained, and absolutely unpreventable.  It’s funny that books on grieving your child’s loss state that, but I don’t recall reading that anywhere before Max died.  I was always under the impression that if you followed all of the guidelines, you could prevent SIDS.
            A lot of the investigatory procedure involving sudden infant deaths is dictated by horrific cases from long ago.  A mother in California murdered several of her children and successfully passed them off as SIDS deaths.  Even less was known about SIDS in the early 90’s, so it was fairly easy for her to do this.  Eventually, her secrets were revealed, so the original investigators looked negligent.  Maybe they were; who knows.  After this highly publicized case, law enforcement agencies changed their protocol for investigating infant deaths.  That, obviously, was a good thing.  I’m sure you know that with every “good” change comes some sort of “bad” though.  The bad here is that medical examiners around the country became more hesitant to label sudden infant deaths as “SIDS” for several reasons.  Labeling a death SIDS is basically like writing “I don’t know” on the death certificate under “Cause of Death.”  Label too many infant deaths as SIDS, and then we have an epidemic that causes panic and fear in parents everywhere.  Make a mistake in labeling a murdered child’s death as SIDS, and…well, you might just be burned at the stake.  There are no telltale signs of SIDS; some research has found that SIDS babies have tiny hemorrhages in their lungs, but like all fields of research, experts disagree about the significance of this evidence.  Basically, labeling a baby’s death as SIDS is too conclusive and inconclusive at the same time.  You close doors while leaving far too many others open.  So, medical examiners pretty much reserved their SIDS rulings for a few cases a year. 
             NPR recently did a piece on this phenomenon.  Some major metro areas in the United States reported no deaths attributed to SIDS last year.  Really?  Gardner has six cases in six months, but Washington D.C. has none?  Instead of labeling sudden infant deaths as SIDS, many medical examiners will attribute these spontaneous, unexplained deaths to any cause that they can possibly find.  This is called “code-shifting,” and it is believed to be the cause for the apparent “drop” in SIDS deaths in recent years.  Unfortunately, these deaths are being attributed to causes that a logical person can’t possible believe are terminal conditions that could cause death.  I have friends whose children have supposedly died from a “red” throat, positional asphyxia from sleeping in a car seat (who has never seen a baby sleeping in a car seat?!?!?), infected ears, and unexplained (doesn’t that mean SIDS???).  These are the things listed under “Cause of Death” on the death certificate.  My point is that SIDS is somewhat rare, but it’s not nearly as rare as statistics would tell you.  It’s impossible for researchers to figure out whether any of the recommendations are working to prevent SIDS because it’s impossible to trust the statistics.  When you hear that SIDS rates have dropped drastically in the past few years, what has really dropped drastically is the labeling of sudden infant deaths as “SIDS.” 
            The “Back to Sleep” campaign is a perfect example of how the public is tricked into believing that SIDS is preventable.  In the mid 90’s, we were suddenly told that babies should absolutely not sleep on their stomachs or sides because this would increase the risk of SIDS.  Before, we were told that babies absolutely should not sleep on their backs because that would increase the risk of SIDS.  So, we switched it around.  We put our babies to sleep on their backs, but guess what has happened?  Babies still die sleeping on their backs.  Max is one of them.  And if you include some of these bogus causes of death in the statistics for SIDS (the CDC has actually created a whole umbrella chart of attributed causes of death that they consider to mean “SIDS,” including positional asphyxia, which is the most commonly used cause of death in “code-shifting” cases), then you will see that the numbers have not reduced one bit.  There have been absolutely no significant drops in SIDS cases since the “Back to Sleep” campaign launched.  Coincidentally, the “Back to Sleep” campaign kicked off right around the time that medical examiners and law enforcement agencies changed their investigatory procedures regarding infant deaths and labeling them as “SIDS.”  So, the drop in cases that you often hear about is likely just the result of these new, stringent procedures regarding labeling infant deaths as SIDS. 
            I know I just threw a whole lot of information at you.  I feel a bit like a walking Encyclopedia or WebMD entry sometimes.  This is information that I would have never sought out before Max died because it would have just given me further proof that my child could be taken from me at any moment.  Obviously I don’t blame anyone who hasn’t lost a child to SIDS for not knowing this information.  It seems to only become significant after SIDS makes an unwelcome appearance in your life.  And just so you know, I sought out this information after the medical examiner who performed Max’s autopsy mentioned it to me.  It’s no secret in the world of death, apparently.  Again, I share this information not to scare people unnecessarily, but to give you a glimpse of the horrors that keep on coming after your baby dies.  Think about how horrible it would be to have your child die of something so mysterious and unpreventable.  Now, imagine what it would be like to be one of the parents whose baby’s death is attributed to positional asphyxia or an inflamed throat or some other “cause of death” that is completely preventable.  A sense of ownership or blame is associated with these “causes of deaths.”  If your baby had a sore throat, you would take him to the doctor, right?  You certainly wouldn’t let him die.  If your baby were being asphyxiated, you would do something to help him, right?  If you didn’t, wouldn’t you feel at fault?  Diagnoses like this are completely irresponsible and a manipulation of obvious facts.  They shift blame from some unknown, unexplainable, and absolutely unpreventable condition and put it on the parents.  It’s just adding horror to an already unimaginable tragedy. 
            Now I will hop off my soapbox.          
  

No comments:

Post a Comment